Air Quality Monitoring Network in Quito (Ecuador)
In March 1999, SICE signed a contract with the city of Quito for the supply and installation of an environmental monitoring network.
The contract consisted of the following equipment and services:
- 9 metallic structures strategically located in the city and equipped with different gauging systems to measure environmental pollutant emissions and to monitor weather conditions.
- Meteorological Sodar to calculate wind´s temperature and direction up to a height of 3,000 m (50 m layers).
- Laboratory equipped with one spectrophotometer, gas chromatographer, and auxiliary systems for the analysis of pollutant samples.
- Mathematical modelling software to predict the evolution pollution parameters for 120 hours. This software is capable of showing pollutant concentrations on a 3D topographic representation of the area.
- 12 months operating service for the whole system.
It is worth mentioning that this was the first installation made in Ecuador of such a system, and one of the most advanced systems in Latin America.